The Interior and its furnishings
Guests entering the Maximilianeum through the main portal on the west side are received by a vestibule. A look up the stairs reveals a monumental late Gothic crucifix from Chieming. There are several marble busts on the landing and in the gallery.
At the halfway stage, the staircase divides into two flights, which lead to the open arcades of the Stone Hall. Here in the so-called cloister is historical documentation unique in its form. It contains individually readable victim biographies of 316 members of Bavarian parliaments who suffered at the hands of the nazi dictatorship. The documentation has been accessible at a computer terminal since January 2008 and complements a commemorative plaque installed in the cloister in May 2007 (see below left). Both are to contribute to preserving the memory of the democratic resistance in Bavaria to the national Socialist dictatorship.
Hanging on the side walls of the Stone Hall, in addition to the portraits of the young King Max II by Julius Zimmermann and of the first Bavarian king Max I Joseph by Moritz Kellerhoven, are two
huge paintings on canvas: to the south, "Coronation of Charlemagne" by Friedrich Kaulbach (1861) and to the north, "The Imperial Coro - nation of ludwig of Bavaria" by August von Kreling (1859). They are remnants of a work commissioned by King Maximilian II – once comprising 30 oil paintings – with important events of global history (from the fall of man to the Battle of Leipzig).
The Stone Hall has four portals, with the south-eastern portal leading to the plenary chamber of the Bavarian State Parliament. The north-eastern portal forms the access to the so-called Senate Hall.
This hall served as a meeting room for the Bavarian Senate (the former "second chamber" of the Bavarian Parliament). As of 1 January 2000, the Bavarian Senate was abolished by means of a referendum.
The north-western portal of the Stone Hall leads to the northern colonnade, the so-called Presidents’ Corridor. Its name is taken from the portraits of the State Presidents that have been in office since
1946. The corridor leads to what is now the conference room, which is used for receptions and meetings of the Council of Elders of the State Parliament (see image, right). Hanging on the eastern wall of the middle room is a fresco created by Engelbert Seibertz, which depicts the Maximilianeum in neo-Gothic forms before the plan change in 1864. It shows the imaginary introduction of
Alexander von Humboldt into a group of famous men from the fields of art and science in Bavaria (see image on the following pages). The other wall surfaces hold a series of pictures painted by Georg Hiltensperger, of six benefactors and six inventors. These paintings were intended to complement a bust cycle that once stretched along the northern and southern colonnades like in a hall of fame. The reading room at the end of the southern colonnade forms the counterpart to the conference room. The frescos on its eastern side were lost, these having shown in the centre a meeting of important statesmen at the time of the Congress of Vienna. Today, Karl Theodor von Piloty’s oil sketch of the façade mosaic of the Sängerkrieg at the Wartburg castle can be seen in their place. Friedrich Pecht’s paintings on the other walls represent six European generals and six European statesmen